A tasty variation on a classic, my Chunky Orange Bread and Butter Pudding is simple to make but makes for a fantastic finale to any meal.
- 4 thick slices white bread/brioche
- ½ tsp. vanilla essence
- 35g softened butter
- 1 tbsp. chunky orange marmalade
- 160ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 2 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- zest ½ orange
- 1 tbsp. candied peel
- 1 tbsp. Demerara sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180oc.
- Butter the bread slices liberally with the butter on one side, spread the marmalade on two of these slices and sandwich them together with the remaining bread making 2 marmalade sandwiches.
- Cut these into triangles and then place them into the baking dish that has been lightly greased. The sandwiches should be standing almost upright.
- To make the custard whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk and cream until well combined.
- Mix in the orange zest and pour over the bread.
- Scatter over the candied peel and the Demerara sugar and place in the pre heated oven.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the bread is golden and puffed up and the crust is crunchy.
- Serve the pudding with fresh cream, crème fraiche or a nice homemade custard.